Monday, July 23, 2012

EFY Santa Barbara



Jared was able to attend EFY (Especially for Youth) at the UC Santa Barbara campus this year. He was not happy that I had signed him up to go to EFY this year, no matter where it was. Most of his friends had signed up to be at one of the Provo sessions. I missed the sign-up date to get in with any of his friends. Last year he went to the AFY (Adventures for Youth) in Rexburg, Idaho and had a great time. Who wouldn't have fun river rafting, rock climbing, meeting cute girls... Any ways.... Santa Barbara it is! Plus we would stay with friends from our time in Virginia and have a great vacay!


We left early EARLY on Friday morning for Huntington Beach to stay with my friend Rosemary. We were going sailing in the afternoon and needed to get there quickly. Jared was looking forward to this excursion, as was I. We set sail with the West's aboard the "Serendipity" from Alomitos BayIt was quite windy which made for a fast sail and a lot of fun. We saw seals that congregated on the buoys, oil rigs off the shore of Long Beach, pelicans, wind surfers and para sailors and kite surfers. Truly a very fun day.







Saturday, Jared had a surfing lesson in Santa Monica. I loved watching him. All that skateboarding and snowboarding paid off. He did great!





Santa Monica Beach
Monday was off to Santa Barbara (are we the only ones upset that Psych is not really filmed in Santa Barbara?) for Jared. He was not so happy to go. He kept asking me not to sign him up next year. I gave him the typical mom answer of "we'll discuss that later" hoping that he would catch the spirit of the experience during the week. All I will say is that the son I dropped off on Monday, July 9th was not the same one I picked up on Saturday July 14th! Hallelujah... PTL... I looked in his eyes and asked "Well? How was it?" He grinned and said "AWESOME! Can I go again next year?" Priceless, I thought to myself. 


"Sure, I'll go again next year, Mom!"

No comments: